Getting an Aircraft Maintenance Engineers Licence (AMEL)

To become a Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (LAME) you are required to meet the examination and experience requirements of Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance Personnel Licensing.

The Advisory Circulars provide more explanatory information, see AC66-1.

See also Information on the Part 66 AME Licence Syllabuses.

You must also supply the CAA with an "address for service" in New Zealand. For further information refer to the web page Address for Service.

Sitting the Examinations

Aviation Services Ltd (a division of Aspeq Ltd) conducts AME examinations. ASL is owned by the aviation industry and is based in Lower Hutt. There are regular timetabled sittings in the main centres throughout New Zealand. ASL should be contacted directly for further examination information.

Experienced LAMEs

The CAA will recognise valid foreign AME Licences issued by ICAO contracting states that it has confidence in, and understands their AMEL system as the basis for issue of a New Zealand AME Licence. Examination credits without a licence are not accepted. See Recognition of foreign AME licences for more details.

NOTE: The FAA's Airframe and Powerplant Certificate (and other ICAO Licences based on this system) are not accepted as the basis for the issue of a New Zealand AME Licence.

Armed Forces experience and other New Zealand maintenance examinations (such as RNZAF technical courses, or New Zealand Certificate of Engineering aeronautical courses) cannot be cross-credited.

Practical Experience

An AME licence requires both practical experience and examination passes. You can sit the examinations at any time, although having some practical experience already is advisable. The requirements for practical experience are detailed in AC66-1.

You should keep a detailed experience logbook to show the range and depth of your experience for when you apply for your AMEL. See AC66-1 for an example, and there are additional PTR examples here, including a fillable version.

You do not have to attend any formal training courses to sit the basic licence examinations but the CAA recommends that formal training should be considered as an option to all engineers working towards an AMEL.

Further information on Industry Training can be found at: