Exchange to a lifetime AME licence

If you are the holder of an expired old-type licence, and wish to continue exercising the privileges of your licence after its expiry, you must exchange to a Part 66 lifetime licence.

If your licence has been expired for less than 5 years, you may apply to exchange to a Part 66 lifetime licence without further examination or test.

However, if it has expired for more than 5 years, you must pass the AMEL written Air Law examination (subject 20) prior to making application for exchange. In this case a copy of the exam credit must accompany your application.

To exchange to a lifetime AME Licence, please send the following to the CAA:

  • Completed form 24066/05 (PDF)
  • Your current AME Licence
  • Lifetime licence exchange fee
  • A copy of the Air Law exam credit (only if your licence has been expired for more than 5 years) 

Personnel Licensing Unit
Civil Aviation Authority
PO Box 3555
Wellington 6140

Your new licence will be processed and dispatched within a few days of receipt.

The process will take a few days longer for those who presently hold Type 1 licences. These will need to be assessed in order to transfer appropriate details to your new licence.