Recognition of Foreign AME Licences

The CAA will recognise valid foreign AME Licences issued by ICAO contracting states, as the basis for issue of a New Zealand Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Licence (AMEL).

This is on the following conditions:

  1. The CAA has confidence in, and understands, the ICAO state's AMEL system, including meeting ICAO Annex 1 requirements.
  2. The ICAO issuing state verifies with the CAA the authenticity and validity of the AMEL. (UK CAA AML holders need to apply directly to the UK CAA on their form SRG1160 for permission of this verification check.)
  3. As part of the application you must have an “address for service” in New Zealand. For further information see this web page: Address for Service.
  4. As a minimum, applicants will be required to pass Air Law Written and Oral examinations, and Human Factors. Other examinations may be required depending on your foreign licence requirements. (CASA AMEL holders are only required to pass Air Law Written.)
  5. Ratings are only issued for aircraft types on the New Zealand register.

Note the following:

  1. The FAA A&P Certificate, or other ICAO state Certificates based on the FAA Certificate, are not recognised.
  2. EASA/JAA Category A licences are not recognised.
  3. Examination credits without a licence are not recognised.

The CAA does not offer an individual assessment service prior to application.

AC 66-1 (PDF) details the requirements for the issue and recognition of an AMEL. The AC is an expansion of Civil Aviation Rules,  Part 66 (PDF) and outlines the subjects that are required for the issue of a licence. The AC66-2xx series of Advisory Circulars contains the syllabus information for these subjects.

For further information, see Getting a Licence.

The CAA contracts Aviation Services Limited (a division of Aspeq Ltd) to assess foreign AMELs. ASL offers a pre-application assessment service for a fee. This is not mandatory but will advise which ratings are recognised and which examinations are required. Contact Aviation Services Limited direct for details.

Steps to have your foreign licence transferred

  1. You must hold a current ICAO state AME licence - refer to the above conditions.
  2. Complete application Form 24066-04 (PDF) - with fee
  3. Complete a Fit and Proper Person Questionnaire 24FFP (PDF)
  4. Provide a certified copy of your licence (and copies of related experience logs and authorisations that you have)
  5. In general, the minimum subjects you will be required to sit Air Law, Written (subject 20), Oral (subject 21), and Human Factors (Subject 17).
    1. Australian (CASA) AMEL holders need only sit Written Air Law (subject 20)
    2. You may be required to sit additional subjects - eg, Compass Compensation, depending on your foreign licence requirements.
  6. The fee for exams is: $175 per written exam and $249 per oral exam - apply directly to ASL on Form ASL 012
  7. Assessment of Foreign Licence is carried out by ASL. They will correspond with the client if they require further information, and give information about exam dates and venues.

Note: The process does not have to be done in this order. You can sit examinations prior to application, but you must sit the examinations in New Zealand.

CAA Forms for LAMEs


Aspeq CAA Exams (formerly Aviation Services Ltd)