Using Your Licence in Countries Other Than Australia

Recognition of the New Zealand AME licence varies from one ICAO state to another. If you are planning a move overseas and are intending to have your licence recognised, you should ask the aviation authority of that state for its current recognition policy.

The CAA does not give advice on foreign requirements because it is not advised when requirements change. You can access foreign authorities' web sites on the links page.

However, you should note that the United States does not recognise New Zealand AMELs.

You can sit the FAA's Airframe and Powerplant Certificate Examination in the United States.

A supporting letter from the CAA is required for the FAA and is useful for other authorities. This should be arranged prior to departure from New Zealand as CAA will require documented verification of your experience. Please forward the relevant details to the Maintenance Licensing section in plenty of time.