Table of ContentsWeather For Flight Planning Weather Information Volcanic Ash Reference Information and Guides Emerging Hazards MET Symposiums Useful Links Weather-related Publications
Meteorological products and services for civil aviation in New Zealand can only be provided by organisations certificated to do so by the CAA. Under Civil Aviation Rule Part 174 - Meteorological Service Organisations, the Meteorological Service of New Zealand (MetService) and the Airways Corporation of New Zealand (Airways) are certificated to supply various categories of services. The majority of such services are currently provided by MetService.
There is no formal requirement from government for MetService to provide meteorological services to domestic civil aviation. The CAA is the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) Meteorological Authority in New Zealand, and, as such, gives exclusive license to MetService to carry out the operational requirements prescribed in ICAO Annex 3, Meteorological Service for International Air Navigation. This includes the provision of OPMET (TAFs, METARs, and SPECIs for Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch aerodromes, and SIGMETs for the New Zealand and Auckland Oceanic FIRs).
This area of the CAA’s web site is intended to provide an up to date overview on access to, use of, and interpretation of aviation meteorological information by all sectors of the New Zealand aviation community.
Met Blog - a web log designed to give you brief updates on what's happening in the world of meteorology.
- Weather Information for Your Flight
- How to Access Aviation Weather Information
- How to Interpret Aviation Weather Information
- MetFlight GA - How to Log On
- MetFlight GA Website
- Meteorological Services for International Aviation - Information for Part 129 Foreign Operators
- List of Aviation Weather Products
- Availability of Weather Products
- Examples of Aviation Weather Products
- Frequency of Issue
- Automatic Weather Stations (AWS)
- WC SIGMET (PDF 439 KB) WS SIGMET (PDF 685 KB) WV SIGMET (PDF 504 KB
- Weather Balloons - Release Sites and Times (PDF 18 KB)
NZ Practices and Procedures
- Volcanic Ash Advisory System (VAAS)
- The Volcanic Alert Level (VAL) System (PDF 670 KB)
- Volcanic Eruption - Recommended Actions for Airports - poster (965 KB)
- ICAO Flight Safety and Volcanic Risk (ICAO Doc 9974)
- ICAO Manual on Volcanic Ash, Radioactive Material and Toxic Chemical Clouds (Doc 9691)
- IFALPA video: Volcanic Ash, an Aviation Hazard of Explosive Proportions
Volcanic Ash Workshops - Reports
- Fourth International Workshop on Volcanic Ash (VAWS/4 - 2007)
- Fifth International Workshop on Volcanic Ash (VAWS/5 - 2010)
- Sixth International Workshop on Volcanic Ash (VAWS/6 - 2013) (1.3 MB)
- Seventh International Workshop on Volcanic Ash (VAWS/7 - 2015) (PDF 593 KB)
Meteorology for PPL Pilots
MetService has produced an ebook designed to help pilots pass their PPL Meteorology exam and make sound weather-based decisions.
- Source of Aerodrome QNH (PDF 21 KB)
- Study Materials for PPL, CPL and ATPL Met Exams
- Flight Documentation Notations (Symbols)
- Graphical SIGMET Monitor (GSM), User Guide (PDF 2.1 MB)
- Graphical NZ SIGWX (GNZSIGWX), User Guide (PDF 438 KB)
- Low Level Graphical Aviation Forecast (GRAFOR) and Aviation Area Winds (AAW) User Guide (PDF 4.7 MB)
- How to Teach Met - Flight Instructor Seminar 2015 - by Greg Reeve, Aviation Meteoroloigst, MetService
Meteorology Symposium 2
The CAA held the second of its Meteorology Forums on 3 October 2018. This event is intended to get all of the interested parties in one place to look at the overall MET situation, the issues and the developments both local and international. The formal objective is to better support the dynamism of aviation in the region, through a regular aviation MET industry meeting where the users, providers, and regulators can come together to co-ordinate and collaborate efforts with the objective of ensuring what is done, and what is developed, is optimal, responsive, and sustainable.
- AIP New Zealand - web site
- AIP New Zealand - how to order printed copies
- Internet Flight Information Service (IFIS)
- MetFlight GA Web Site
|To order, email firstname.lastname@example.org, including your postal address.|
|VFR MET Minima (PDF 293 KB)
A5 card, hole-punched to fit in your Vol 4.
Revised Nov 2015
|VFR Met (PDF 1 MB)
This booklet covers all aspects of getting Met, to improve your weather-related decision making.
Revised Mar 2019
|Weather Card (PDF 209 KB)
A5 laminated card, hole-punched to fit in your AIP Vol 4.
Revised Jun 2018
| New Zealand Cloud Types (PDF 1.2 MB)
| Aircraft Icing Handbook (PDF)
(Includes a helicopter section)
This is free on the internet, but if you require printed versions, there is a charge, as it is a large publication.
To order, call free 0800 GET RULES (0800 438 785), or order online, www.vertia.co.nz, or email email@example.com.