Address for Service

As a pilot, engineer, air traffic controller, or a person operating an aviation organisation, you will hold an ‘aviation document’ – your licence or certificate. This is a reminder of an important obligation for all New Zealand aviation document holders.

Section 8 (2) of the Civil Aviation Act 1990 requires every applicant for a New Zealand aviation document to supply an “address for service” in New Zealand including, where applicable, telephone and facsimile numbers.

The Act also requires aviation document holders to promptly notify the Director of any changes to the address for service, telephone number or facsimile number. You can do this by emailing

An “address for service” is a physical address. You can have mail sent to a different address if you like, but maintaining a current physical address for service with the CAA is a legal requirement under the Act. This applies to both individuals and to organisations, whether based in New Zealand or overseas. The requirement is specified on applicable application forms.

If you do not provide a New Zealand address for service in your application for an aviation document, it will be declined until one has been provided. This is considered so serious that Section 20 of the Act can be used to revoke an existing aviation document if the holder fails to provide a New Zealand physical address. (So it is not just the Vector magazine you could miss out on!)

If the applicant or document holder resides overseas, or plans to relocate overseas, they must nominate a physical address in New Zealand. This could be the address of a lawyer, a family member, or an aviation organisation. In doing so, the applicant accepts that delivery to that address is formal notification for the purposes of the Civil Aviation Act 1990.

If you use a separate postal address, it can be a New Zealand address or an overseas address, but be aware that Vector magazine is only sent to New Zealand postal addresses.

Applicants under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act also need to comply with the Civil Aviation Act 1990, and the relevant forms (24061/09 and 24061/10) reflect this.

You are also reminded that you need to separately advise other organisations of your change of address if you do business with them, for example, Airways New Zealand and Aviation Services Limited. If you operate an aircraft with a 406 MHz distress beacon, you must notify Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) of any changes to your contact details.

More information on how to contact the CAA